Horto loves to cook and brought in a sample of his latest creation, his version of caramel slice. It was amazing! Creamy and crumbly and just delicious!
Here is his recipe:
Horto's Caramel Slice
200g macadamia shortbread
1 tin condensed milk
1 handful walnuts
· Bring a saucepan of water to the boil then simmer.
· Remove label from tin of condensed milk and add tin to the simmering water. Leave for two hours with lid on saucepan.
· Crush shortbread into a reasonably fine crumb. For a more rustic feel, leave larger chunks of shortbread in the mixture.
· Melt 100g butter and add to crumb mixture, combine evenly.
· Press mixture evenly into the base of a medium sized container (approx 15cm x 15cm) and place in fridge for 30 mins to set.
· Once condensed milk has been simmering for two hours, remove from heat and spoon contents evenly over shortbread base. The condensed milk should have turned into a caramel with a much thicker consistency than condensed milk.
· Roughly crush walnuts and sprinkle over the caramel then sit in the fridge for a further 30 mins to set.
* Obviously shortbread flavour is to taste so could substitute with any flavour.
* Another variation of this which I just made up would be instead of the walnuts, maybe thinly slice some banana, spread evenly over the caramel and finish with some crushed peanuts. That would be awesome too!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone