Sunday, February 27, 2011

In my garden...

In my garden there are manferns galore. I am not a fan. I find them to be beastly horrible furry things that just stand there looking quite creepy.

I have been wanting to get rid of them since we moved in, and a few weeks ago, after attempting to knock one over through the use of a shovel, mattock, hoe, and when all else failed, a well-placed kick or two(!), a friend of mine staged an intervention.  She loves man-fern and decided that it was time to come over and commence "The Great Man Fern Rescue". They took 5 of the enormous beasts, which leaves another 5 or 6 "men" in our garden.

I was planning on getting rid of those last ones too, but they provide so much privacy from the neighbours that I have decided to stop fighting them, and embrace them instead.

I still don't like the fact that they look so stark standing around in the garden so have begun work on filling in underneath them. I want lots of greenery, some bushes that hide the ugly brown trunks, and a few flowers here and there.

This is the site:



I have planted two little plants so far, a cordyline and a hydrangea. They don't make any difference whatsoever yet but I can't wait for them to start growing and fill up some space.



Cordyline: 


Hydrangea: 
  
Ugly spiky hairy man-ferns:


And we also finally planted my white magnolia:





It has a few buds on it and seems to be going strong in its new spot.


I bought some new pants yesterday and some bulbs too. Mum is coming over this afternoon to give me her opinion on where to plant them.


Hubby bought a greenhouse yesterday and has started transplanting his seedlings into it, so if all goes to plan, soon we should have vegetables coming out of our ears.

No comments: